The Bangalore Medical College started as a private Medical college in the year 1955 by Mysore Education Society. The Founders of this Society were Dr. R. Shivaram, Dr. Mekhri, Dr. B.K. Narayana Rao and Dr. B.V. Ramaswamy. In the year 1957 it was handed over to the then Government of Mysore and was affiliated to Mysore University and then to the Bangalore University. In the year 1996 it got affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.